Akers Mennonite Church (Akers, Louisiana, USA)
The Akers Mennonite Church, situated forty miles north of New Orleans, Louisiana, was a member of the South Central Conference Mennonite Church, with a baptized membership of twenty-nine in 1953 and twenty-one in 1971. Their first minister, Henry F. Tregle, Jr., was converted at Allemands, Louisiana, in 1940 and was ordained by E. S. Hallman to preach at Akers in 1942. The Akers church was built and dedicated in April 1942. The first converts here (eleven) were baptized in June 1944. Nearly all of the families were formerly members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Another church building was constructed at nearby Madisonville, though the groups meeting at Akers and Madisonville were considered part of the same congregation. Other ministers of the congregation included George Reno, Kenneth Smoker and Robert O. Zehr. The congregation closed around 1972.
Erb, Paul. South Central Frontiers: A History of the South Central Mennonite Conference. Studies in Anabaptist and Mennonite History, no. 17. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1974: 379-381.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 28. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hershey, Paul and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Akers Mennonite Church (Akers, Louisiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2006. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4245.html.
APA style: Hershey, Paul and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (2006). Akers Mennonite Church (Akers, Louisiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4245.html.