Akron (Pennsylvania, USA)
The town of Akron is located ten miles (16 km) northeast of the city of Lancaster, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1833 by people of German descent and was first named New Berlin. In 1880 its name was changed to Akron in order to secure a Federal post office, since there already was a New Berlin within the state. The population of the town in 2004 was slightly over 4,000, of which Mennonites constituted a small minority. In 2006 there were two Mennonite congregations in Akron, with a combined membership of slightly over 500. Since 1936 Akron has been the headquarters of Mennonite Central Committee.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 30. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Byler, J. N and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Akron (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2006. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4275.html.
APA style: Byler, J. N and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (April 2006). Akron (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4275.html.