Allegany County (Maryland, USA)
|Allegany County, MD
US Census TIGER/Line map
Allegany County lies in the mountainous western neck of Maryland. Formed from Washington County in 1776, it originally included the present Garrett County, which lies to the west. Garrett County was formed from Allegany County in 1872.
A Mennonite congregation, member of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Mennonite Conference (MC), was located at Pinto, a village eight miles (13 km) southwest of Cumberland. This congregation, extending into Mineral County, West Virginia, was organized 27 November 1927.
A mission outpost was maintained at Flintstone, a village twelve miles (20 km) east of Cumberland, by the Mennonite churches of Washington County.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 55. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Miller, Ivan J. "Allegany County (Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A44436.html.
APA style: Miller, Ivan J. (1955). Allegany County (Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A44436.html.