Almont (Pennsylvania, USA)
As early as 1800, Mennonites living along the Ridge Road near Almont, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, worshiped in a schoolhouse. By 1826 Mennonites joined with Lutherans and Reformed groups in the erection of a union meetinghouse. It appears that Rockhill members living in the Almont area felt the need of a place of worship in their own community. Ministers, chiefly from the Rockhill congregation, were supplied for the Mennonite services at Almont. By 1885 all rights of Mennonites to the church building were released by one of the Mennonite Church bishops. The hope for establishment of a Mennonite church at Almont was never realized.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 65. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Leatherman, Quintus. "Almont (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4515.html.
APA style: Leatherman, Quintus. (1955). Almont (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4515.html.