Altona Mennonite Brethren Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)
The Altona Mennonite Brethren Church began services in 1927, and formally organized in 1931. After Mennonite Brethren moved into the little town, a house was occasionally rented for holding church meetings. Teachers and students of the Winkler Bible School and others conducted evangelistic meetings. In 1931 the church was organized under the leadership of Johann Andres with about 15 members. A house was rented and dedicated 4 October 1931. In 1937 a small frame building near the station was bought. The 1949 membership was 14 with George A. Braun serving as leader. In 1950 the membership was 10. The congregation dissolved in 1952 because some members moved away while others withdrew to form their own fellowship, thus making it impossible to carry on. The language of worship had been German.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 82. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Redekop, H. H. and Marlene Epp. "Altona Mennonite Brethren Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4557ME.html.
APA style: Redekop, H. H. and Marlene Epp. (1986). Altona Mennonite Brethren Church (Altona, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A4557ME.html.