Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)
Andrew's Bridge, an African-American mission of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, elevated above the Octoraro in southern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was opened 16 January 1938 by the Mellinger congregation. The Lina May Thompson (Colored) home was the center of the work. In 1945 a new commodious meetinghouse was built by the mission board. Israel D. Rohrer, who was later ordained for the ministry to the deaf, was for some years the superintendent. Bernard B. Kautz also served in this position. Jacob K. Mellinger was ordained on 5 June 1946 as the first local minister, and on 11 May 1949 Daniel D. Leaman was ordained his assistant. The 1952 membership was 55. John R. Winey was ordained deacon on 20 July 1952. It later became an organized congregation of both African-Americans and whites, augmented by the influx of overflowing congregations more central, due to high prices of land in the heart of Lancaster County. It later became known as Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 121. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Beachy, Jonas S. "Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A5382.html.
APA style: Beachy, Jonas S. (1953). Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship (Gap, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A5382.html.