Arke Noach (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Arke Noach or Arke Noe (Noah's Ark) was the name of the meeting place of the congregation of the Old Frisians in Amsterdam. The oldest church with this name was located on the Nieuwezijds Achterburgwal. It was furnished in 1606 and remained in use until 1664, when the congregation moved to the Teerketelsteeg, where they had bought the Kleine Spyker from the Waterlanders. This building also was named the "Arke Noe." In 1720 the congregation moved again, this time to the "kleine Zon" (Little Sun), a church of a splinter group from the Zon located in the Prinsenstraat. This third building was also called Noah's Ark. When the congregation united with the Zonists in 1752 the Arke Noe was rebuilt as the Zonshofje for aged women of the congregation.
Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 82-90.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 158. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Arke Noach (Amsterdam, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A7498.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1953). Arke Noach (Amsterdam, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A7498.html.