Belleville (Pennsylvania, USA)
Belleville, Pa., is an unincorporated village of about 1,500 inhabitants in the center of Kishacoquillas Valley in Union Township, Mifflin County. Most of the 1,600 Amish and Mennonite residents in the county live within a 10-mile (16-km) radius of the village. Its main industries in 1953 were dairy plants, industrial machine works, lumbering, and flour milling. The Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad, called the "K.V. Line," built in 1890 between Belleville and Lewistown, was supported by many Amish and Mennonite residents, but was discontinued in 1940. The Maple Grove Mennonite Church is located near the town, and many of its members live and work there.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 272. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hostetler, John A. "Belleville (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4463.html.
APA style: Hostetler, John A. (1953). Belleville (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B4463.html.