Bethania Mennonite Personal Care Home (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
|Bethania Home for Aged, ca. 1959
X-31.1, Box 17/23
Bethania, a home for the aged and infirm was founded in 1946 by the Mennonite Benevolent Society, Winnipeg, Manitoba. In 1950 the institution was situated 10 miles (16 km) north of Winnipeg on the banks of the Red River. The patients were cared for in two large houses which have a total capacity of 80 patients. The houses were located on an estate of 110 acres. This land was seeded to vegetables and satisfied the needs of the institution adequately. Pigs, cows, and chickens were also raised and provided the patients with fresh meat, eggs, and dairy products at all times. The executive committee in 1950 consisted of J. J. Schulz, President; H. J. Willms, Secretary-Treasurer; J. P. Friesen; and J. J. Klassen, Vice-President. The matron of the institution in 1950 was Miss Maria Vogt.
In 2008 Bethania was a 148-bed faith-based Personal Care Home. It also housed a specialized nine-bed assessment and treatment unit for behaviorally challenged clients.
Address: 1045 Concordia Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2K 3S7
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 301. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schulz, J. J. "Bethania Mennonite Personal Care Home (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48433.html.
APA style: Schulz, J. J. (1953). Bethania Mennonite Personal Care Home (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48433.html.