Bethany Deaconess Hospital (American Falls, Idaho, USA)
Bethany Deaconess Hospital, American Falls, Idaho, was founded by F. B. Wedel of Newton, Kansas, in 1909. For the construction cost of the hospital and for maintenance expenses he solicited funds from Mennonite communities and from local sources. The hospital was managed by the founder and by his daughter, Marie, as superintendent for several years. Later the management was carried on by a managing board consisting of ministers and members chosen from two local Mennonite churches at Aberdeen, Idaho. Because of difficulties in financing operating expenses, the institution was made a county hospital and the name was changed to Schütz Memorial Hospital. A new hospital, built in 1960-1961, was later renamed Harms Memorial Hospital in honor of Dr. Frank Harms who served the American Falls area for 40 years.
Website: Harms Memorial Hospital
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 302-303. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wiebe, Henry C. "Bethany Deaconess Hospital (American Falls, Idaho, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48452.html.
APA style: Wiebe, Henry C. (1953). Bethany Deaconess Hospital (American Falls, Idaho, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48452.html.