Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA)
Bethel Mennonite Church (formerly Gladys Conservative Amish Mennonite Church, then Bethel Conservative Mennonite Church) is located at two miles north of Gladys, Virginia, and 18 miles (30 km) south of Lynchburg, Virginia. The first families moved into the community in 1944 (D. K. Yoder and C. L. Ressler), and C. L. Ressler was the minister for the first seven years when meetings were held in his home. The meetinghouse was built in 1953. In 1959 the membership was 22, with Milton A. Hostedler as pastor. Initially it was part of the Conservative Mennonite Conference. In 2006 the congregation was an unaffiliated Mennonite congregation with a membership of 96.
Address: 5946 Brookneal Highway, Gladys, Virginia 24554-2609
Denominational Affiliation: Unaffiliated
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 522, v. 4, p. 1065. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. and C. L. Ressler. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B486535.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. and C. L. Ressler. (1959). Bethel Mennonite Church (Gladys, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B486535.html.