Bethel Mission (Campo 45, Chihuahua, Mexico)
Bethel Mission, a mission station of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, is located at Campo 45, 40 miles (65 km) north of Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico. It was organized in 1933 by John A. Koehn. The first property consisted of a two-acre plot with a three-room house. In 1938 an additional 50 acres of land were added to the property, and again, in 1944, another 1,100 acres of land were purchased together with three sets of buildings, including a church and a two-room school. Jose Francisco Parra was ordained to the ministry in 1938. In 1944 Jacob K. Ensz with his family moved here to take charge as superintendent. The worship services and Sunday school were mainly conducted in the Spanish and English languages. The mission had a regular day school for the children, which was also conducted in the Spanish and English languages. The mission had a hospital, grocery store, a number of farmsteads and dwelling houses, voluntary service projects of dairying, poultry raising, and crop experimentation, and several side missions. In 1951 there were 12 workers in the mission and the membership was 34.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 314. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Koehn, J. A. and Harry D. Wenger. "Bethel Mission (Campo 45, Chihuahua, Mexico)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48694.html.
APA style: Koehn, J. A. and Harry D. Wenger. (1953). Bethel Mission (Campo 45, Chihuahua, Mexico). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B48694.html.