Big Valley United Missionary Church (Big Valley, Alberta, Canada)
The Big Valley Missionary Church (formerly Mennonite Brethren in Christ) was located in Big Valley, Alberta. The earliest activity occurred prior to 1920, but the church was more firmly founded in 1940 with the arrival of Mr. & Mrs. Carl Lehman in August 1940. They began a Sunday school and worship services in local schools. They were followed by a Mr. Grunau who served until 1942. John Gamble came in 1946, and in 1947 established a church. He was followed by D. N. Taylor for several months, Charles Nelson (1949-1951), W. J. Cox (1951-1955), J. W. Millar (1955-1958), W. E. Quantz (1959-1961), Ed Ridley (1961-1962), E. Perry and P. Dyck. In 1967 services were provided a couple of times a month by a Nazarene pastor from a neighboring town. The church is now closed.
McCarty, Tom. As We Remember Big Valley. Big Valley, Alta. : T. McCarty, 1974: 73-74. http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=876716&qryID=70f61497-5448-4aa3-a0e4-e8c702249315 (accessed 18 August 2009).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 341. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Steiner, Sam. "Big Valley United Missionary Church (Big Valley, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2009. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B54017.html.
APA style: Steiner, Sam. (August 2009). Big Valley United Missionary Church (Big Valley, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B54017.html.