Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA)
The Birney Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite) among the North Cheyenne Indians was located eight miles (13 km) south of the town of Birney, Montana, Rosebud County, on the Tongue River Indian Reservation. This work was begun by P. A. Kliewer who was in charge until 1920. Habegger from Busby substituted in 1919-1920, while the Kliewers had a year's furlough. Other workers were Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Wiebe, 1921-1922; Otto B. Pankratz, 1923-1926; native pastor Frank Littlewolf, 1926-1942; and native pastor Milton Whiteman, 1942-1947. Alfred Habegger was then in charge, coming from Busby and then from Lame Deer during the week to minister to the people here. Up to 1949, the total baptisms were 58, with a membership of 40 that year. This work has closed in the 1980s.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 345. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Habegger, Alfred. "Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B54096.html.
APA style: Habegger, Alfred. (1953). Birney Mennonite Mission (Birney, Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B54096.html.