Blair County (Pennsylvania, USA)
|Blair County, Pennsylvania,
US Census TIGER/Line map
Blair County in west-central Pennsylvania was first settled by Mennonites between 1790 and 1810 in Morrison's Cove, a valley at the southern extreme of Blair County extending into Bedford County. The first meetinghouse was near Martinsburg; one was later built at Roaring Spring for members in that vicinity. Of the 235 Mennonites in the county in 1950, 85 who allied themselves with the General Conference Mennonite Church met at Roaring Spring and Smith Corner. A congregation of 80 members at Martinsburg and another of 70 at Altoona, originally a mission endeavor of the Martinsburg congregation, belong to the Southwestern Pennsylvania Conference (MC).
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 351. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Byron W. "Blair County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B5545.html.
APA style: Bender, Byron W. (1953). Blair County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B5545.html.