Blossers Meetinghouse (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)
Blossers (Mennonite Church), Nappanee, Indiana. At an unknown date, possibly in the 1870s, a log meetinghouse was erected for the convenience of the Mennonites of the community in Harrison Township, Elkhart County, Indiana, about 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Goshen. So far as is known, the group which worshiped there was never organized as a separate congregation, nor did they have resident ministers; in 1887 it was reported that the Blosser church was "supplied by ministers from the surrounding districts" (Cassel). After the Wisler schism of 1871 in the Yellow Creek congregation, the Wisler (Old Order) Mennonites used the Blosser meetinghouse as well as the Yellow Creek church building. The original log structure was replaced by a frame building about 1892. In 1949 the Old Order Mennonites enlarged and remodeled this frame building, and added a basement. The group who worship at Blossers are not organized as a separate congregation, but are a part of the Yellow Creek Old Order congregation.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 366. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wenger, John C. "Blossers Meetinghouse (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B572.html.
APA style: Wenger, John C. (1953). Blossers Meetinghouse (Nappanee, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B572.html.