Board of Missions (General Conference Mennonite Church)
The Board of Missions (General Conference Mennonite) was formed by combining and reorganizing the former Foreign Missions Board and Home Missions Board when the new constitution of the General Conference Mennonite Church was adopted at its 32nd session at Freeman, South Dakota, in August 1950. The board was "charged with all responsibility of the conference in the areas of missions and evangelism at home and abroad according to the instructions, decisions, and regulations of the conference." It consisted of 12 members, four of whom were elected at each regular session of the conference, and was divided into the Section on Foreign Missions and Section on Home Missions. In addition to this the Board of Missions consisted of a Church Unity Committee, Evangelism Committee, Mission Personnel Committee, and Ministry Committee.
The Board of Missions had a full-time secretary with an office in the General Conference headquarters, 722 Main St., Newton, Kansas. A subsequent constitutional change in 1968 saw the the work of this board carried by two new Commissions on Overseas Ministries and Home Ministries.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 375. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Krahn, Cornelius. "Board of Missions (General Conference Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B609.html.
APA style: Krahn, Cornelius. (1953). Board of Missions (General Conference Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B609.html.