Brighton Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)
The Brighton Mennonite Church (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church), of Chicago, Illinois, was previously named Hoyne Avenue Mission (1907), Mennonite Rescue Mission (1908-1916), and Brighton Mission Chapel (1916-1940). In January 1940 the name was changed to Brighton Mennonite Church of Chicago. In 1919 an almost new church was bought one-half mile (one km) east of the mission hall at 34th Place and Wolcott St. In November 1919 the congregation moved into the new quarters. It had a membership of 80 in 1950. In 1916 this work was placed in charge of G. P. Schultz. Two hundred and thirty-four persons were baptized from 1916-1950. At its peak the highest average Sunday-school attendance was never over 250. The shifting of population and changes in religious trends of the newcomers caused a major decrease in the Sunday-school attendance and church membership. After G. P. Schultz's retirement in 1951, a number of pastors served for shorter periods of time. The church closed in 1976.
Smith, Willard. Mennonites in Illinois. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983: 164.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 430. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schultz, George P. and Sam Steiner. "Brighton Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2009. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7496.html.
APA style: Schultz, George P. and Sam Steiner. (2009). Brighton Mennonite Church (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7496.html.