Brunk, Eva Harder (1883-1949)
Eva Harder Brunk was born 22 July 1883 in Latham, Missouri, the third of 11 children born to Charles and Helena Harder. With the death of her mother when she was 20 years old, Eva assumed the responsibilities of running the home.
Eva taught public school for a number of years before enrolling in Goshen College, where she graduated in 1908. That same year she was appointed by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (MC) to serve in India. In 1913 she and A. C. Brunk, a fellow missionary, were married.
In India, Eva served as a practical nurse. She was a creative worker, teaching self-help skills to the widows and ministering to orphaned and neglected children. During her last seven years of service she directed the medical program at the Shantipur Leprosy Home and Hospital.
Gospel Herald (31 May 1949): 534.
Graber, Esther Rose, comp. "MBM Missionary Directory." (1984).
Interviews with Minnie Graber, Elizabeth Kniss, and Ida Beare.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 104. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Friesen, John A. "Brunk, Eva Harder (1883-1949)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7871.html.
APA style: Friesen, John A. (1986). Brunk, Eva Harder (1883-1949). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/B7871.html.