Carman Gospel Light Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)
The Carman Gospel Light Church began in 1956 when Peter Martens was asked to investigate possibilities for new ministries in Manitoba by the Home Missions Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference of Manitoba. Henry Redekop, an instructor at Winkler Bible School, led the group in a rented room in Carman. The fellowship was initially called Carman Gospel Light Mission. That year, teachers were elected to start Sunday School, Peter Martens was asked to be the pastor and a lot was purchased on 1st Street NW for a building that was completed in 1958. The name of the congregation changed in 1961 to Gospel Light Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1962 the church was received into the Manitoba and Canadian Conferences. In 1975, a building, known as the Hut, was erected beside the old church building. The congregation built a new building in 1979 which seated over 400 people. In 1985 the congregation changed its name to Carman Gospel Light Church.
Carman Gospel Light Church closed its doors on 30 April 2003. A new Mennonite Brethren congregation began a year later in Carman, called the Friends Community Church.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 38.
"Report of the Work of the Gospel Light Mennonite Brethren Church at 142 Fournier Avenue North, Carman, Manitoba." Unpublished paper, 1966, 3 pp. Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies.
Congregational records at Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies.
Pastors at Carman Gospel Light Church
Membership at Carman Gospel Light Church
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Steiner, Sam. "Carman Gospel Light Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C426.html.
APA style: Steiner, Sam. (March 2012). Carman Gospel Light Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C426.html.