Castor Evangelical Missionary Church (Castor, Alberta, Canada)
The Castor Evangelical Missionary congregation began services in 1906. W. Irish is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Markham, Ontario and was first known as the Markham Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church. A stucco building, with seating capacity of 100, was dedicated 17 August 1947.
In 1906 there were 14 members; in 1948, 31; in 1958, 30 members. The congregation has been affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ (1906-1947), the United Missionary Church (1947-1975), the Missionary Church (1975-1993), and the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada (1993-). The language of worship is English. Pastor Marty Hays served in 2009 as a congregational leader.
Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Markham."
Huffman, J. A. History of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church. New Carlisle, Ohio: Bethel Pub. Co., 1920.
Storms, Everek Richard. History of the United Missionary Church. Elkhart, IN: Bethel Publishing Co., 1958: 290.
Address: Castor, Alberta
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 524. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Shantz, Ray and Marlene Epp. "Castor Evangelical Missionary Church (Castor, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 1986. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C455.html.
APA style: Shantz, Ray and Marlene Epp. (December 1986). Castor Evangelical Missionary Church (Castor, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C455.html.