Cedar County (Missouri, USA)
|Cedar County, Missouri
U.S. Census TIGER/Line Map
Cedar County, Missouri, once the location of an Amish Mennonite community, now extinct. Their church was organized in 1870. Two years later a plea for funds to be used for building a meetinghouse was signed by Bishop Samuel Yoder, preachers John Snyder and Joseph Kauffman, and Jonathan Krichbaum. Twenty-two families, mostly Amish Mennonite, were members of the congregation at that time. Around 1890, members of the congregation joined the "Egly Amish" (Defenseless Mennonites), but by the first decade of the 20th century the church had ceased to exist.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 537. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Cedar County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C45790.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Cedar County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C45790.html.