Charles (originally Karli or Karle) was a Mennonite family of Swiss background located principally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The founder of this family was Henry Charles who came to America in 1737. After farming near Germantown for eight years, he moved to Manor Township, Lancaster County. At least ten descendants carrying the family name have served in the ministry of the Mennonite Church (MC). Among them was John D. Charles, at one time dean of Hesston College.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 549. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Charles family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C46027.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Charles family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C46027.html.