Chihuahua Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Settlement (Chihuahua, Mexico)
The Chihuahua Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church (Mexico) is located about 200 miles (325 km) south of the American border in the "Quellen Kolonie." A tract of approximately 35,000 acres was bought in the region between Namaquipa and Santa Clara in 1948. The immigration from Manitoba began the same year, so that the membership by the close of the year was approximately 160 baptized members, and 262 not baptized. At first church services were held in a large building built on this land by the former owners as a granary. In 1949 a new church was built. Ministers who immigrated the first year with this group were Bishop P. P. Reimer and A. J. Thiessen from the Blumenort district of Manitoba; Cornelius R. Reimer from Kleefeld, Manitoba; and B. R. Dueck and (deacon) P. J. Dueck of Morris, Manitoba. Bishop Reimer died 8 April 1949. Evening schools were attended by the youth above public-school age for the purpose of studying the Scripture and the German language.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 556. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Reimer, David P. "Chihuahua Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Settlement (Chihuahua, Mexico)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C460790.html.
APA style: Reimer, David P. (1953). Chihuahua Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Settlement (Chihuahua, Mexico). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C460790.html.