Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)
Chippawa was a town in Welland County, Ontario (now a community within the city of Niagara Falls), on the Niagara River a few miles south of the Canadian Niagara Falls. One main travel route of the Mennonite pioneers immigrating from Pennsylvania crossed high up on the Niagara River from Black Rock to the Canadian side, followed the river north through Black Creek and used the Boyer farm, some eight miles (13 km) south of Chippawa, as a stopping place and Chippawa as the point to turn into the peninsula to the Short Hills south of Vineland, to the Twenty at Vineland, and westward. South of Chippawa on the Sodom Road lived Deacon Joseph Wellick, who served in the Willoughby Township Church at Riverside near Boyer's and in whose home services were sometimes conducted.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 563. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Fretz, Joseph C. "Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C4616.html.
APA style: Fretz, Joseph C. (1953). Chippawa (Welland County, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C4616.html.