Civilian Public Service Camp (Medaryville, Indiana, USA)
The Medaryville (Indiana) Civilian Public Service Camp No. 28, which is about five miles (8 km) north of Medaryville, was opened in the Jasper-Pulaski Game Preserve when the Bluffton, IN, Camp No. 13 was moved to this location in early April 1942. It was a Mennonite-administered camp, and was the site of a handicraft institute in September 1944 and a conscription institute in March 1945. The men worked in a tree seedling nursery and on a game farm and participated in emergency farm work. The Peace Sentinel was published by the camp from July 1942 to March 1946. The camp was closed in April 1946.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 126-128.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 549. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Medaryville, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_28.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (Medaryville, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_28.html.