Civilian Public Service Camp (North Fork, California, USA)
|CPS man fighting fire. Scan courtesy
The North Fork, California, Civilian Public Service Camp No. 35 was located 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Fresno and one-half mile (one km) northwest of North Fork at an altitude of 2,600 feet, near the base of the Sierra Nevadas. Opened in May 1942, it remained in operation until March 1946. It occupied the site of an abandoned Civilian Conservation Corps camp, and its work was chiefly fire prevention and fire fighting under the direction of the United States Forest Service. During the life of the camp 4,689 man-days were spent in fighting forest fires and 14,232 days in fire suppression.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 138-139.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 917. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (North Fork, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_5.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (North Fork, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_5.html.