Civilian Public Service Unit (Marlboro, New Jersey, USA)
|CPS men serving as orderlies.
Scan courtesy IX-13-2-2
The New Jersey State Hospital Civilian Public Service (CPS) Unit No. 63, located at Marlboro, New Jersey, had a maximum of 103 men. It was approved by Selective Service in November 1942 and closed in December 1946. It was the first CPS unit to be placed in a New Jersey state institution. Most of the men served as attendants to the mental patients in the institution. Mennonite Central Committee conducted a psychiatry and Christian service school at this hospital in February 1945. The unit published an 82-page history and report of its work under the title p. r. n.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 221 f.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 491, 862. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Unit (Marlboro, New Jersey, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_63.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Civilian Public Service Unit (Marlboro, New Jersey, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_63.html.