Civilian Public Service Camp (Terry, Montana, USA)
|CPS camp #64, ca. 1943. Scan courtesy
Mennonite Church USA Archives-North Newton 2003-0193
Terry Civilian Public Service Camp No. 64 was opened near Terry, Montana, 15 January 1943, and was closed 30 June 1946. Under the Bureau of Reclamation and the Farm Security Administration, and operated by the Mennonite Central Committee, Camp Terry helped to develop the Buffalo Rapids irrigation project to improve about 30,000 acres in the level valley of the Yellowstone River. More than 280 men from twenty-two states worked in Camp Terry during its three years of operation. A farm and community school was held in the camp during the winter of 1944-45. An illustrated book, This Is Our Story, was produced by the campers in 1944.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 169-176.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 697. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Terry, Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_64.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Civilian Public Service Camp (Terry, Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_64.html.