Civilian Public Service Camp (Marietta, Ohio, USA)
|General view of CPS #8, Marietta, Ohio, ca. 1942. Photo courtesy of
Mennonite Church USA Archives-North Newton 2003-0167
Marietta (Ohio) Civilian Public Service (CPS) Camp No. 8 was opened in June 1941 and was closed in April 1943. It was operated as a cooperative camp by the Brethren and Mennonites until May 1942, when the latter became the sole operating agency. The camp was located seven miles southeast of Marietta on the crest of a hill overlooking the Ohio River. It was the first Forest Service camp operated by the Mennonite Central Committee, the assignment consisting primarily of work in the forest nursery.
Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: a history of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949: 126.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 483. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Marietta, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_8.html.
APA style: Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (Marietta, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C52_8.html.