Community Bible Church (Mountain Lake, Minnesota, USA)
The Mountain Lake Mennonite Brethren Church, Mountain Lake, Minnesota (known by 2005 as Community Bible Church) was an outgrowth of the Carson Mennonite Brethren Church. Since members living in and south of Mountain Lake could not attend the Carson church regularly because of the distance, another meetinghouse was built about five miles (8 km) south of Mountain Lake. Elder Heinrich Voth served as pastor of both churches until 1918, when he moved to Canada. In 1901 the building was moved to its present location in Mountain Lake. In 1913 a new church building was constructed, which was enlarged in 1948. N. N. Hiebert served as pastor in 1918-1929, succeeded by H. E. Wiens, Dan E. Friesen, and John G. Baerg, the 1956 pastor. The Mountain Lake and Carson churches conjointly convened at quarterly meetings, alternating the place of meeting. An annual mission festival was jointly observed on July 4, when, as a result of a sale arranged by women's missionary societies, large sums were collected for the work of missions. The congregation had missionaries serving in Africa, Japan, Colombia, Brazil, and other foreign fields. The membership in 1955 was 276.
Address: 500 Klein Street, Mountain Lake, Minnesota 56159
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 762. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Wiebe, John A. "Community Bible Church (Mountain Lake, Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C6555.html.
APA style: Wiebe, John A. (1957). Community Bible Church (Mountain Lake, Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C6555.html.