Convención de las Iglesias Menonitas en Uruguay
The Convención de las Iglesias Menonitas en Uruguay (Conference of Mennonite Churches in Uruguay). In 1954, the Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church) began a missionary witness in Montevideo. Later the Commission on Overseas Mission (General Conference Mennonite) also cooperated. In 1972 four congregations organized the Convención de las Iglesias Menonitas del Uruguay. In 1986 there were seven Spanish-speaking congregations affiliated in this conference, with a total of 295 active members.
The mission boards continued to contribute to the budget of these churches through the Evangelization Board of the Mennonite Churches of Uruguay. In the late 1980s the Convención an d the Evangelization Board began a process of self-study to determine their respective roles. The congregations were also looking into the future, to discern the kind of churches they were called to be.
Kraybill, Paul N., ed. Mennonite World Handbook. Lombard, IL: Mennonite World Conference, 1978: 264-266.
Mennonite World Handbook Supplement. Strasbourg, France, and Lombard, IL: Mennonite World Conference, 1984: 104.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 203. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Rindzinski, Milka. "Convención de las Iglesias Menonitas en Uruguay." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C6707.html.
APA style: Rindzinski, Milka. (1987). Convención de las Iglesias Menonitas en Uruguay. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C6707.html.