Crowfoot Mennonite Brethren Church (Crowfoot, Alberta, Canada)
The Crowfoot, Alberta settlement began with the purchase of approximately 4,000 acres of land in the fall of 1925 by the Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization. Families soon began settling there and a group met to organize a Mennonite Brethren Church in December. Some of the settlers, however, were members of the Allianz (Evangelical Mennonite Brethren) and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada, although they frequently worshiped together.
In 1931 there were 17 families and 38 members in the church. This number remained quite static for a number of years, but by 1937 had declined to 20 members. Many families moved away because of crop failures. In 1938-39 most of the remaining families left because of a total crop failure and the church disbanded. The official records of the church are no longer extant.
The leaders of the congregation were: David Kroeker (1925-1936); Abram Martens (1937-1938).
Records of the Alberta Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches at Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Dueck, Abe J. "Crowfoot Mennonite Brethren Church (Crowfoot, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2001. Web. 19 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C769.html.
APA style: Dueck, Abe J. (November 2001). Crowfoot Mennonite Brethren Church (Crowfoot, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/C769.html.