Dunnville United Mennonite Church (Dunnville, Ontario, Canada)
R.R. 2, Dunnville, ON, N1A 2W2. (905) 774-3859. Located on Lot 8, Concession 2, on Hwy. 3 east of Dunnville. Minister Henry Schmidt served in 1995 as a non-salaried congregational leader. In 1950 there were 49 members; in 1965, 37; in 1975, 29; in 1985, 27; in 1995, 24. The congregation was affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario in 1950, the Conference of Mennonites in Canada in 1949, the General Conference Mennonite Church in 1956, and the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada in 1988. Thus Dunnville United Mennonite was part of the Conference of Mennonites in Canada segment of the Mennonite "family." The language of worship is English; language transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The congregation began services in 1947, and formally organized in 1949. The first building was occupied in 1952. Jacob Penner is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from the Leamington, Reesor, Vineland, and Niagara regions of Ontario. The decline in membership after 1950 was due to young people moving away to find jobs. The congregation closed its doors in 1999 due to this decline.
Mennonite Reporter (12 December 1977): 17.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Dunnville United Mennonite Church (Dunnville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D855.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Dunnville United Mennonite Church (Dunnville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/D855.html.