Eastern Mennonite School (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)
|Eastern Mennonite School, Harrisonburg, VA, 2012
Source: R. Thiessen
Eastern Mennonite School (formerly Eastern Mennonite College High School; called Academy until 1927) from the beginning was a very important division of instruction at Eastern Mennonite College. The first year of high school was given during the first regular school year 1917-1918, with a full high-school course offered the second year. There were seven graduates in 1919 and five in 1920, which was the smallest class in the history of the school. The enrollment continued to grow until there was a graduating class of more than 80, although it has declined somewhat in the early 1950s, due to the organization of church high schools in other places in the East such as Lancaster Mennonite School. The high school, while a part of the total institution, was under its own director. In 1964 a new high school building was erected. In 1981 a separate organizational structure for the high school was put in place.
The curriculum was enriched by the addition of a wide range of electives including art, bookkeeping, typewriting, German, oral expression, chemistry, home economics, youth guidance, and physics, as well as additional courses in history and mathematics. Seventeen units, including two units of Bible work, were required for graduation from the first.
An effort was made to retain the values of the high-school course in spite of an increased enrollment and emphasis in the college department of the school. Separate meetings in various types of activities were provided for the two groups. The Young People’s Christian Association has been reorganized to give high-school students more responsibility in the form of leadership and committee work. The high-school enrollment in 1954-55 was 224. In 2004-2005 there were 327 students in grades 6-12.
Eastern Mennonite School. "History." Accessed 7 August 2007. <http://www.emhs.net/EMHS-WEB/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=69>
Eastern Mennonite School website
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 135. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Brunk, Harry A. "Eastern Mennonite School (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E238785.html.
APA style: Brunk, Harry A. (1956). Eastern Mennonite School (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E238785.html.