Educational Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Church
The Educational Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference was the controlling agency in the operation of Tabor College beginning in 1933, succeeding the Tabor College Corporation (Mennonite Brethren and Krimmer Mennonite Brethren) which had built and operated the school for 25 years but felt itself unable to continue. At a special meeting on 18 September 1933, the Corporation offered the school to the conferences supporting it, proposing an educational committee to be charged with the responsibility of effecting a new organization of Tabor College and continuing the operation of the school in accordance with the spirit and teaching of the conferences. At the Mennonite Brethren General Conference on 24 October 1933, the proposal was accepted and an Educational Committee of nine members, two from each of the Canadian, Pacific, and Central districts and three from the Southern District, elected by the delegates from the district conferences and approved by the General Conference, was organized.
The organization and duties of the Educational Committee were defined in the constitution adopted by the Fortieth Convention of the Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America in Reedley, California, 25 November 1936, which provided for a membership of five elected so that each of the four district conferences would have representation. The Committee was authorized to approve all courses of study and other activities of the school, to prepare the budget for each ensuing three-year term and recommend ways and means for securing the contributions required by the budget for Conference action, and to appoint and discharge faculty members and other workers. In November 1945, by amendment to the constitution at the conference in Dinuba, California, the membership was changed from five to six members with the stipulation that each of the district conferences be represented and that three members be elected at each regular convention of the Conference to serve a term of six years. In July 1951 at the convention of the Mennonite Brethren Conference at Winkler, Manitoba, the membership of the Educational Committee was enlarged to include nine members of the Mennonite Brethren conference by the addition of three supernumerary members.
In 1945 the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Conference was invited to share in the work of the school. In November 1945 this conference voted to accept Tabor College as the official conference school and obligated itself to voluntary offerings, deputation work, and representation on the Educational Committee. Its official participation in the Educational Committee began on 17 January 1946.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 157. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schellenberg, P. E. "Educational Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E389.html.
APA style: Schellenberg, P. E. (1956). Educational Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E389.html.