Eight Square Old Order Mennonite Church (Wayne County, Ohio, USA)
The Eight Square Mennonite Church (Old Order Mennonite), located near Wooster, Wayne County, Ohio, is a member of the Ohio and Indiana Conference of Old Order Mennonites (commonly called the Martin or Brubaker group). The congregation began in 1907 as a division from the Chester Mennonite Church, Wisler protesting the use of some modern inventions, chiefly the telephone, and English preaching. The congregation still rejected many inventions and used the horse and buggy for transportation in the 1950s. They retained the original name for the church in the community, which came from an octagon-shaped schoolhouse built on the same lot as the church. The group worshipped on alternate Sundays in the same building as that used by the Chester Mennonite Church. The membership, five in 1953, had been steadily declining. Ministers who had served the group are Peter Imhoff and Daniel Martin, who both withdrew from the Wisler group in 1907, but Martin rejoined the Wisler adherents in 1940, and William Brubaker, the minister in 1954.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bauman, Harold. "Eight Square Old Order Mennonite Church (Wayne County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E487.html.
APA style: Bauman, Harold. (1956). Eight Square Old Order Mennonite Church (Wayne County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E487.html.