Eindhoven (Noord-Brabant, Netherlands)
|Eindhoven Mennonite Church, 1950s.
X-31.1, Box 18/55
Eindhoven, an important industrial town in the Dutch province of North Brabant (1947 pop. 137,000, with 367 Mennonites), is seat of a Mennonite congregation at Da Costaweg 16. There must have been some Mennonites here in 1570-1577, but we know no particulars. Then the traces disappear, and Mennonites were not found here for centuries. On 10 October 1928 the Mennonites who were employed in the city, especially in the noted Philips factories, united to found a Mennonite fellowship (Kring), which organized as a congregation on 27 November 1936. In 1936-1942 the congregation was served by S. M. A. Daalder, pastor of Heerlen in South Limburg. Since 1942 the congregation has had its own resident minister: H. Wethmar 1942-1946, and J. W. Sipkema 1947-, both serving also the congregation of Breda . The young congregation of Eindhoven, which was very active in the 1950s, built a beautiful church, dedicated on 30 September 1951. The membership numbered about 104 when the congregation was founded in 1936. In 1956 it numbered 205. There was a women’s circle and a youth group.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1952): 51-54.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, pp. 170-171. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Eindhoven (Noord-Brabant, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E489.html.
APA style: van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1956). Eindhoven (Noord-Brabant, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/E489.html.