First Mennonite Church of Upland (Upland, California, USA)
First Mennonite Church of Upland (General Conference Mennonite), located in Upland, California, in the citrus district of southern California, is affiliated with the Pacific District Conference. The first Mennonite settlers arrived in the early 1890's, attracted for reasons of health. In 1903 they organized a congregation with 18 charter members, with J. J. Voth as the first minister. In 1906 a church was built on Sixth Avenue, replaced in 1925 by a larger one on North Campus Avenue. In 1935 an organ was installed, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Ledig. The parsonage was completed in 1940. M. M. Horsch served the congregation 1903-26, except for an interim of three years, 1915-18, when A. S. Shelley served while Horsch filled a term as district evangelist. Albert A. Penner served as pastor in the summers of 1926 and 1927. The ministers thereafter were Lester Hostetler 1927-29, A. J. Neuenschwander 1929-33, Lester Hostetler 1933-41, Earl Salzman 1941-51, Reynold Weinbrenner 1952-53, and Paul L. Goering 1953- . In 1958 the membership was 210.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 788. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Hostetler, Lester. "First Mennonite Church of Upland (Upland, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F5699.html.
APA style: Hostetler, Lester. (1959). First Mennonite Church of Upland (Upland, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F5699.html.