Friedensheim (Berlin, Germany)
Friedensheim (Home of Peace), Berlin began in 1958 as a community center for assisting refugees and displaced war victims. It was built on the site of a bombed building with help from the Beachy Amish Mennonites. Originally staffed by voluntary service workers from the Beachy Amish churches in the United States, the center cared for more than 1,000 children over the years. As a result of the strong evangelical ministry of the American missionaries a congregation of converted persons, mostly of people with no Mennonite background, was formed. In 1975 this congregation became an independent church. In 1971 a rehabilitation center for drug and alcohol dependency was started and called Friedenshafen (Haven of Peace). This program was discontinued in 1985. A third center, Friedensnest (Peace Nest), was opened by the Friedensheim congregation to minister to the needs of Turkish immigrant families. Since 1982 the congregation has employed a German pastor as well as a matron for the community center.
Hershberger, Andrew. Into the Highways and Hedges (25 Years Amish Mennonite Aid). Abbeville, SC.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 311. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Overholt, Lewis and Horst Neufeld. "Friedensheim (Berlin, Germany) ." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F7541.html.
APA style: Overholt, Lewis and Horst Neufeld. (1987). Friedensheim (Berlin, Germany) . Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F7541.html.