Gartental was the second Mennonite colony established in Uruguay. Most of the 431 Mennonites who arrived in Uruguay on 19 October 1951 settled there. About 330 of them were from Danzig and Poland, while the rest were from Russia. Gartental includes approximately 4,400 acres 30 miles (50 km) from the city of Paysandu on the Paysandu-Mercedes highway. The San Pedro River bisects the land. It is 45 miles (75 km) from El Ombu, the first Mennonite settlement in Uruguay, The land is gently rolling, with soil from sandy to heavy black. Crops in the 1950s were wheat, oats, rye, barley, corn, sugar beets, and flax. The purchase price was 648,000 pesos ($272,350). Funds from North American Mennonites were loaned to the colony to make the down payment.
The Gartental Mennonite Church was organized almost immediately with Rudolf Hein as elder, and Ernst Enss and Johannes Bergmann as preachers, all having been ordained earlier in Europe. This congregation was one of the three to organize the Uruguay Mennonite Conference on 21 February 1953.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Schlichting, Emma. "Gartental (Uruguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 June 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G3760.html.
APA style: Schlichting, Emma. (1956). Gartental (Uruguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G3760.html.