Geisberg (Alsace, France)
Geisberg, a French Mennonite congregation, a member of the Alsatian conference, located on the northern Alsatian-Palatine border, two miles southeast of Wissembourg, until the end of World War II a part of the Deutschhof-Geisberg congregation, with origins reaching back to 1760. The earliest settlements were at Schafbusch and Niederrödern, later Geisberg and Deutschhof, and the congregation changed its name after these localities several times. Until 1849 the services were held at Schafbusch just west of Geisberg. In that year a meeting room was constructed in the entrance portal of the Geisberg castle (Schloss). In the fighting of 1944-45 the Geisberg castle was largely destroyed. With the aid of American Mennonite relief and reconstruction workers stationed in Wissembourg the meeting room was rebuilt and rededicated on 3 August 1947. In 1953 the baptized membership of Geisberg was 63, with 13 unbaptized children. The elder was Philipp Hege (Schafbusch) since 1928, preacher Fritz Hirschler (Geisberg) since 1937, deacon Jean Hirschler (Geisberg) since 1921.
Hege, Philipp. "Das kriegszerstörte Gotteshaus zu Geisberg (Elsass) wieder hergestellt." Der Mennonit 1 (1948): 58.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 445. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Geisberg (Alsace, France)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 19 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G4445.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1956). Geisberg (Alsace, France). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G4445.html.