|2nd edition of
Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung, Die, zum allgemeinen Gebrauch des wahren Gottesdienstes aus vielen Liederbüchern gesammelt, und mit einem Inhalt sammt Register versehen. This small (12 vo., 320 pp.) hymnbook without music, was the third compiled and published by North American Mennonites, and served the Ontario Mennonites as long as the German language was in use. It is still used by the Old Order group in Ontario, the latest edition being 1975. It was first published at Berlin (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) in 1836, with reprints there 1838, 1841, 1849, 1857, 1883, 1892, 1908. The reprints of 1860 and 1870 at Lancaster, PA, suggest it was also used in that area for at least a time. The second edition was slightly enlarged with an appendix (Anhang), which became a larger Zugabe with the third edition, both editions having a double index (Register). From 1857 on the reprints were identical at 388 pages. Probably edited by Bishop Benjamin Eby (1785-1853), the book took two thirds of its 205 hymns from the Lancaster Conference hymnal, Unpartheyisches Gesangbuch (first ed. 1804), and most of the rest from the Franconia Conference hymnal, Kleine Geistliche Harfe.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 457. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G454ME.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1956). Gemeinschaftliche Liedersammlung. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G454ME.html.