Gospel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
The Gospel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba began services in 1954, and formally organized in 1957. The first building was occupied in 1958. B. W. Sawatsky is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through conference members moving to Winnipeg.
In 1965 there were 201 members; in 1975, 220; in 1985, 284; in 2000, 215. The congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference since 1959. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1950s.
Canadian Mennonite (20 May 1960): 13.
EMMC Recorder (December 1973): 2; (December 1982): 11.
Heppner, Jack. Search for Renewal: The Story of the Rudnerweider/Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference 1937-1987. Winnipeg, MB,1987, 348 pp.
Church records at the church.
Address: 232 Nassau Street, Winnipeg, MB R3L 2H8
Website: Gospel Mennonite Church
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Gospel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G6818.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Gospel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G6818.html.