Halbstadt Mennonite Church (Halbstadt, Manitoba, Canada)
Box 60, Halbstadt, MB, R0A 0S0. (204) 327-5381. Minister Harry Siemens served in 1995 as a congregational leader. In 1965 there were 47 members; in 1975, 40; in 1985, 68; in 1995, 71. The congregation was affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba, Conference of Mennonites in Canada, and General Conference Mennonite Church, but withdrew from all these conference levels in 1996. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The congregation began services in 1892, and formally organized in 1937. The first building was occupied in 1937, with a subsequent building program in 1955. Diedrich Loeppky is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization of the West Reserve in Manitoba.
The congregation was earlier known as the Halbstadt Bergthaler Mennonite Church.
Mennonite Reporter (15 May 1978): 11.
Hildebrand, Stanley. "History of the Halbstadt Bergthaler Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadiann Mennonite Bible College, 1965, 23 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.
Gerbrandt, H. J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970, 379 pp.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Epp, Marlene. "Halbstadt Mennonite Church (Halbstadt, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H345.html.
APA style: Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Halbstadt Mennonite Church (Halbstadt, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H345.html.