Hay Mennonite Church (Zurich, Ontario, Canada)
The Hay (Township) Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, near Zurich, Huron County, Ontario, became extinct about 1900, although one surviving member was incorporated into the new Zurich Mennonite Church established at about the same location in 1908. The community was settled in 1835-1860 by Mennonite families from the Waterloo County and Markham communities: Wideman, Otterbein, Vincent, Detweiler, Lehman, Wambold, Martin, Clemens, Bechtel, Reesor, Baer, Newschwanger. A meetinghouse was built about 1864, three miles south of Zurich. The first minister was Daniel Brundage 1850-58, the first deacon Abraham Vincent, ordained in 1851. Henry Newschwanger served as minister about 1857-70, Henry B. Detwiler 1874-93. Without a resident minister from 1893 on, the membership, which was 35 in 1883, dwindled and finally disappeared. The congregation was a member of the Ontario Mennonite Conference.
Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario,1935: 37, 101, 125.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 682. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Hay Mennonite Church (Zurich, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H39ME.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1959). Hay Mennonite Church (Zurich, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H39ME.html.