Igbetti (Oyo, Nigeria)
Igbetti, a town of some 6,000 (2005 pop. 25,000) in Southern Nigeria, West Africa. Still unknown to missionaries in 1919, 25 years later it was the home of the world's largest United Missionary Church congregation, with an average Sunday attendance of around 1,000. Its development was largely due to the work of O. L. Traub and G. J. Bolender. Besides the church in the 1950s there was a school with an enrollment of 200, a dispensary, a Bible school, and a normal school.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 4. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Storms, Everek R. "Igbetti (Oyo, Nigeria)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/I420.html.
APA style: Storms, Everek R. (1958). Igbetti (Oyo, Nigeria). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/I420.html.