Jebba, located on the Niger River, Nigeria, West Africa, was a city of 12,000 in 1957 in which the United Missionary Church conducted missionary work. A station was opened at Jebba in 1910 under A.W. Banfield, F.R.G.S. On 17 May 1913, C. T. Homuth held the first baptismal service, baptizing 22 converts. The church building completed in 1926 seated 500 in 1957. The station included a Bible college, a four-room dispensary, and a school that occupied three buildings; it had 16 teachers and an enrolment of 420. There were five outstations.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 103. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Storms, Everek R. "Jebba (Nigeria)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J42.html.
APA style: Storms, Everek R. (1957). Jebba (Nigeria). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J42.html.