Johnstown Bible School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)
Johnstown Bible School, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, begun in 1922, was a six-week winter Bible school, held annually in January and February in the Stahl Mennonite Church near Hollsopple, Pennsylvania as a result of urging by S. G. Shetler, the minister of the Stahl church. An autonomous board of ten, including three Allegheny Conference appointees controlled it. Its enrolment was never large. In 1955 there were 24 students enrolled during the day and 70 for the evening school. The principals were S. G. Shetler 1925-1935 and 1940-1942, E. C. Bender 1937-1939, Lloy Kniss 1942-1944, Sanford G. Shetler 1944-1947, Paul Roth 1947-1954, and Harry Y. Shetler 1954-1956. The day school was discontinued in 1956.
Fretz, Clarence Y. "A History of Winter Bible Schools in the Mennonite Church." Mennonite Quarterly Review 16 (1942): 51-81, 178-196.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 118. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Bender, Harold S. "Johnstown Bible School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6560.html.
APA style: Bender, Harold S. (1957). Johnstown Bible School (Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6560.html.