Johnstown Mennonite Brethren Church (Johnstown, Colorado, USA)
The Johnstown Mennonite Brethren Church, now extinct, had its origin in 1906, when a number of Mennonite Brethren families who had moved from Kirk to Loveland, Colorado, organized a congregation with Henry Nickel as leader. He was followed by Conrad Burkhart in 1914. By 1924 the membership numbered 37, the highest it ever achieved. In 1926 the Loveland church was relocated in Johnstown, Colorado. In the following years attendance ran as high as 100; however, being unable to buy or rent land, more and more people left for other Mennonite areas, especially in California. By 1943 the membership had dwindled to 21. After several years the remaining members joined the Evangelical Free Church and the Baptist Church in Greeley. At the 1948 Southern District Conference the church was officially dissolved.
The congregation was sometimes referred to as the Loveland Mennonite Brethren Church.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 118, 405. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.
MLA style: Harms, Orlando and P. C. Hiebert. "Johnstown Mennonite Brethren Church (Johnstown, Colorado, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 May 2013. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6565.html.
APA style: Harms, Orlando and P. C. Hiebert. (1957). Johnstown Mennonite Brethren Church (Johnstown, Colorado, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2013, from http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/J6565.html.